The personal injury claims process is complex. When you try to navigate the process without the help of a lawyer, you may fall victim to common mistakes that can hurt your claim.
Here are some common mistakes that people make when they are preparing their injury claims:
- Not calling the police. Notify the police and emergency personnel as soon as possible. The police are there to evaluate the situation and will write up a report that can give a clue as to who is liable for the accident.
- Not seeing a doctor. Refusing medical treatment is one of the worse things you can do for your case. Getting the treatment you need is not only critical to your health but also to proving you suffered injuries from your accident.
- Not continuing with medical treatment. If you saw a doctor after your accident, make sure that you continue with the treatment plan. If you miss appointments or return to work despite your doctor’s order, you could be hurting your claim.
- Not collecting information. Always remember to collect contact information from the at-fault party and nearby witnesses. If you were injured in an auto accident, remember to collect insurance information from the other driver.
- Not preserving evidence.
- Giving a statement with legal representation. Insurers may try to pressure you into giving a statement so that they can catch you saying the wrong thing. Even simple words such as “I’m fine” can be misinterpreted as you not being hurt in an accident. Never talk to insurers without consulting an attorney.
- Taking the first offer. Avoid accepting the first offer or settling your case without understanding the full extent of your damages. Have an attorney review your insurer’s offer to determine if you are being compensated fairly.
- Waiting too long to file. There are time limits to file a claim. If the statute of limitations passes for your claim, a court will refuse to hear your case and you will be unable to recover anything for your injuries. In Kansas, the statute of limitation is two years from the date of injury.
- Not consulting a personal injury attorney. The personal injury claims process can be complicated, especially if this is your first time being injured. Hiring an experienced lawyer can ensure that your claim is handled competently and that your claim has the best possible chances of settling for the maximum compensation you need.
In order to protect your right to full and fair compensation, we encourage you to speak with an attorney immediately after your accident.
Start Your Claim Today – Call for a Free Consultation
If you have been injured in any type of accident, we encourage you to call our Wichita personal injury lawyers at Hutton & Hutton. Having recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation for our clients, we have been through the claims process countless times and can put our decades of experience to work for you. Feel free to contact us today to schedule your free consultation. You do not pay us any fees unless we recover compensation for you.