We’re Accepting Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Cases - CONTACT US TODAY

DUI for Drugs

Many people don’t realize that, in many states, a driving under the influence (DUI) charge involves more than just alcohol. Anyone under the influence of any substance can be charged with a DUI if the substance affects their driving safety or if they are caught using illicit substances.

The DUI laws in Kansas apply whenever a person operates or attempts to operate a vehicle under the influence of drugs and/ or alcohol to the degree that it renders the person incapable of driving safely or when the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of the individual’s blood or breath is 0.08% or higher. Drugs include any substance such as marijuana, cocaine, or even prescription drugs.

However, and this is something many people don’t know, even if you have a prescription for the drugs you are taking, you can still be charged with a DUI if they affect your driving skills. For example, let’s say you are prescribed hydrocodone for an injury, but you can still drive. If you take hydrocodone and need to drive to the grocery store, you can still be pulled over and charged with a DUI if you begin to fall asleep behind the wheel. Many types of pain medications are soporific, meaning they make you sleepy. Even if these are prescribed to you, a pharmacist will also list a warning on the label of the medication that says something like “Do not operate heavy machinery.” Heavy machinery includes cars.

If you are involved in a car accident with someone under the influence of drugs, you can sue them for any damages they cause to you and your property. Some car accidents involve catastrophic levels of injury, which can lead to exorbitant medical fees, rehabilitation costs, and lost wages. If your injury involves paralysis, those costs can range into the millions over the course of a lifetime. Make sure you protect yourself by hiring a skilled Wichita car accident attorney to advocate for your rights. Let us help you seek compensation.

Contact Hutton & Hutton Law Firm, LLC and speak to us in a free case evaluation today!

Related Posts
  • What Should I Do After a Car Accident? Read More
  • Proving That Another Driver Was Distracted Read More
  • What Can I Do if My Car Accident Left Me Paralyzed? Read More