Johnson & Johnson produces thousands of health products ranging from shampoo and baby wipes to blood thinners and surgical implants. The company has been a household name since the 1880s and millions of Americans have used at least one Johnson & Johnson product in their lifetime. In addition to raking in approximately $75 billion annually, the biotech giant has had its fair share of legal conflict.
Johnson & Johnson Has Faced Hundreds of Thousands of Lawsuits
Johnson & Johnson was hit with 6 of the 7 biggest product liability verdicts in 2016 and 7 out of 10 of the biggest medical lawsuit verdicts in 2017. The company has defended hundreds of thousands of product-defect lawsuits over the years and, according to a report from Drugwatch, there are currently more than 80,800 pending lawsuits against the medical product manufacturing giant.
Have You Used These Dangerous Johnson & Johnson Products?
Among the dangerous (and allegedly dangerous) Johnson & Johnson products named in recent lawsuits are:
- Talcum powder products: Powder products such as Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower-to-Shower are based from a soft mineral called talc. Thousands of women who regularly used such products near their genitals have claimed the company failed to properly screen and purify the talc in order to detect or remove asbestos, which they allege caused their ovarian cancer.
- Xarelto: This once-popular blood thinner has now been declared one of the most dangerous prescription medications out there. Many recipients have experienced uncontrollable bleeding and many have died due to the lack of available counteractive treatments.
- Invokana: Invokana was designed to treat type 2 diabetes by preventing uptake and reabsorption of sugar into the body. The medication was distributed without appropriate information regarding the potential risks. It has been known to cause ketoacidosis, kidney problems, and inflammation of the pancreas and other organs, leading to multiple avoidable deaths.
- Risperdal: Despite being developed and FDA-approved only for the treatment of schizophrenic adults, Risperdal has been marketed for other purposes and used to treat a wide variety of mental illnesses in adults, teens, and children, allegedly resulting in myriad health problems such as blood clots, stroke, heart attack, sexual dysfunction, and more.
- Concerta: Concerta is an ADHD medication created for people of all ages. It has allegedly caused major depression and prompted many people to attempt suicide. It has also been known to cause painful, prolonged erections, digestive issues, and hallucinations, even among young children.
- Hernia mesh implant: Hernia mesh is made of polypropylene, which tends to disintegrate and shrink over time. This irritates the tissue nearby and causes the body to attack the material. Many recipients have also developed irregular scarring, allergic reactions, damage to nearby organs, and other painful side effects. In some cases, mesh implants may even detach from their original insertion site and travel to other areas of the body, causing substantial damage.
- Vaginal mesh implant: Much like hernia mesh implants, transvaginal mesh implants have caused life-threatening complications for recipients. Implantees have been known to experience recurrence of vaginal prolapse, uterine perforation, persistent pain, and more.
There are a variety of other dangerous products from Johnson & Johnson, the effects of which have warranted lawsuits against the biotech manufacturer and massive verdicts in favor of injured consumers. If you have been harmed by a Johnson & Johnson product, our team of Wichita product liability lawyers may be able to help you.
Product Liability Attorneys Serving Wichita Since 1979
Unlike medical product companies like Johnson & Johnson, our team at the Hutton & Hutton Law Firm, LLC is chiefly concerned with your safety and well-being. If you have been hurt because of a defective or dangerous Johnson & Johnson implant, prescription medication, or other product, we are here to help you right the wrongs committed against you and pursue fair compensation on your behalf.
Call (316) 688-1166today to speak to a member of our team and schedule your confidential consultation.